Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fire! Fire!


This warehouse, filled with electrical gear and timber burnt down yesterday morning, in one of the back streets of Kokopo. The fire brigade got their quickly from their headquarters down the road, and were able to stop it spreading, but were unable to save the building. There are no fire hydrants here, so the fire-brigade has to bring their own water.

A near-by worker took the second photo at the height of the blaze, and I went down later in the day and took the one as the fire was still smoldering!

10 comments:

CaBaCuRl said...

Such a contrast to yesterday's peaceful sunrise picture! Looking forward to seeing your jewellery, Jules :)

Mme Benaut said...

Rather sad isn't it Jules? I do love the "No Chewing" sign though. Does this mean that gum is forbidden or that one may not eat on site?

Steve Buser said...

I remember when I was younger there was a school fire, I grabbed my camera and shot about 20 award winning pictures. By then it was about 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep so I went into the darkroom to develop the film and see what I had -- I was shocked -- there was no film in camera. I didn't get anything. But it a real rush of adrenaline to be capturing it all.

--steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo

Jules said...

Mme Benaut - Part of the sign is missing - it should say No Chewing Betel Nut. Betel Nut is chewed along with lime and mustard here - it is a sort of a stimulant. Will post more about this soon.

Steve - Don't you hate that!!! I took a whole roll of wonderful photos in Paris one day and the film hadn't wound on properly - I was devastated!!!!

Pedp said...

You can hear the crackling in the second photo.

They do the same in India, chewing the Betel Nut with Lime, tobacco and other mixes... it's called paan there.

Planet Earth Daily Photo.

Marie said...

Fires scare me. I live on the 8th floor of my building. Last year a jealous man came and set on fire the apartment of a man he was jealous of, on the 4th floor.... It was my son who called the firefighters.

Jules said...

Marie - how awful !! That must have been very frightening!!!!

pedp - it does make a terrible mess around the place but it is illegal to chew in the markets here - people seem to obey the rule which is good.

Anonymous said...

where was this?? looks really bad.

erin xx.

Jules said...

Erin - it was the hardware store down the back road behind B B. There were concerns it might spread that far!!!
Luckily it was contained.
So nice to see your comment.
xx

Ann said...

This sounds like something that would happen in Jamaica too! Our fire hydrants are practically non existent.
:-(