Saturday, August 18, 2007

Murphy's water spout

We call it Murphy’s Law!!! You see a spectacular sight and you don’t have your camera with you. I bet this has happened to you too!

While we were away last month sailing, a storm blew up. It had quite spectacular cloud formations and I took a number of photos of it before leaving the catamaran and heading to the island. (see July 8 post)

As we got to the island I looked back at the catamaran and saw the water spout. Of course where was my camera – on the boat!!! I yelled “Has any one got a camera?” We eventually found Rosie’s little digital, and Joanna took this photo. Rosie has sent it to me to use on my blog.

The spout lasted about five minutes. It is not the first one I’ve seen around here, but it was the closest. We were a little concerned for awhile and were glad we were on the island and not on the boat – with my camera!!!!!

17 comments:

Bobby D. said...

spectacular is right! the sky is amazing. great shot!

Janet said...

Scary looking! Glad someone got the photo though.

M.Benaut said...

Nature certainly provides plenty of spectator enjoyment in Rabaul. I would love to have been there to see it.
Sometimes Murphy confuses us, but you beat him in the end. That's a great scene.

Annie said...

Wow, that seems a miracle of nature. I'd love to see that first hand - in safety, of course.

Susan said...

And your camera excaped unscathed I hope!
Great shot. Isn't nature exhilarating!

Radman said...

is that your cat jules?

Lavenderlady said...

Wow! That would have been thrilling, exciting, and scary all rolled in to one. Glad you were able to capture at least one photo.

Jilly said...

Have just caught up. Spectacular skies. I loved your low tide photo too the other day - just so beautiful.

Marie said...

That is very impressive. It makes me think of that tornado that damaged "Martinique" yesterday. What is it called? Dean?

Have a nice weekend, Jules.

Tom said...

What a great shot, there's nutters all over the place calling themselves 'Storm Chasers' who whould be so proud to have got that....

Any 'Storm Chasers' reading this I just want you to know that I mean 'Nutters' in the nicest possible way. ;)

Michi - Fotoblog said...

WHOW, that´s great! A greatful shot!

Anonymous said...

Jules,
what a lucky girl you are!

Lucky to be there in the first place.
Lucky to find a camera.
Lucky to be at a safe enough distance.

Can you pick me seven numbers for my lottery ticket?

Beetle said...

STUNNING PHOTO!!! I only knew that in the state the used (kind of) to have this spectacular mother nature and even make a travel agency only for hurricane hunter but here I saw from a daily photo blogger who live close to down under...WELL DONE! Jules,you are so lucky compare to Murphy

Jules said...

We are off to Pigeon Island today to dive but i do hope it is sunny and there are no Murphy's water spouts.

Have packed the camera just in case!!!!

Jules said...

radman - forgot to mention that sadly the cat is not mine. It belongs to an Australian guy up here and we hire it for a day or a weekend - very very resonable rates!!!
We are off to Pigeon Is on it today for diving.

Neva said...

wow I am glad I am was not on the boat either!

Ann (MobayDP) said...

I think my camera would have been the last thing on my mind if I ever saw one of these water spouts! :-o

The next thought would be, "Get the heck out of here!" :-D