Sunday, August 26, 2007

St Michael 's at Nanuk


You’ll see many people, dressed in their Sunday best, walking to church today. On the winding road that takes you up to Kerevat, you will find this simple church - St Michael’s Catholic Church, Nanuk.

When Neva was showing us her beautiful church in Inverness it reminded me of this church and how massive the contrast was between the two structures. So I thought I’d show it to you today.

My old Sunday School teacher (she was probably only 42 at the time) used to tell us that a church was the people not the building; so maybe these parishioners aren’t missing out on as much as first appears.

Beside the church is this small, quiet cemetery.

7 comments:

Tom said...

I admire the simple things in life, if I was to go to a church it would be one like this.

Anonymous said...

Churches are different. I like the difference. This one is special and I would like it too.

Neva said...

wow Jules....what an interesting church! I can see why you posted this! and the one I posted I thought is pretty stark...not like the older, traditional churches....a matter of perspective isn't it?

M.Benaut said...

So true; it's the people in one's life....

It would be validating, humbling and quietly reverently distracting to have the chance to join the the local parishoners.
It really stops me in my tracks to contemplate what I have just said.
We certainly have moved away from simple values.
I would definitely attend a church service like that and feel closer to some thing that I have lost in this hyperbolic world.

lv2scpbk said...

This cemetery looks very old. Nice capture.

Lizzy said...

How stunning in its simplicity

Jules said...

Thanks all

m benaut - that was very deep but very true!!!!